I enjoy cooking and delight in sharing easy recipes that get really big raves! ~Kris Tabor
Tomato Pie Recipe
Tip: Caramelizing the onions while you prepare the other ingredients will add even more flavor, but you will want to double the onions to equal one cup if you add this step. If you are short on time or not familiar with the technique, this pie is still wonderful without caramelizing the onions.
- 1 9-inch pie crust shell (if you can not make a homemade dough Marie Callendar frozen shells are probably next best)
- 1/2 sweet onion peeled/chopped -Walla Walla’s or Vidalia (any yellow or red onion will do)
- 3-4 large tomatoes, heirloom varieties are my favorite for this – cut in half horizontally then squeeze to remove excess juice, roughly chop. Tomato sizes vary so keep in mind approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes is your goal.
- 1/4 cup sliced green basil or thai baisl (that is about 10 stacked large leaves – roll together like a fat pencil and thinly slice)
- 2 cups grated cheese (use any combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Mozarella or Gruyere)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of your favorite hot sauce (yes you can use Tabasco)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and brown until lightly golden, 8-10 minutes.
Note: A frozen crust needs to cook it a little longer. If you are using a homemade crust, first freeze the crust, then line the crust with aluminum foil and pre-bake it for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can get out of the chopped tomatoes using a potato ricer, or paper towels. A clean dish towel can also be used.
3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion, raw or caramel. Spread the chopped tomatoes evenly over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil on top of the tomatoes.
4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. This mixture will be gooey so use a spatula to spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. This rich cheese mix takes the place of a top crust.
5 Place in the preheated oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.
Add a simple green salad ~ sit back and listen to the compliments!